In keeping with social responsibility as a core value, green building strategies should include the equitable treatment of construction workers. This seminar will explore the Workers Defense Project's Better Builder Program, which seeks to improve working conditions in Texas' construction industry. Speakers will talk about their experiences implementing the program, including successes and challenges.
Austin Energy Green Building team members host the sessions and provide insight and experience on sustainable building practices.
• Learn what the Workers Defense Project and Better Builder are, and the context of the Texas Construction Industry.
• Understand the integral position that construction labor equity plays in green building principles of human health and wellness.
• Learn how job safety training and fair pay can be sustainably and effectively implemented in small and large-scale development projects.
• Learn about challenges faced by commercial and residential sector projects in implementing Better Builder standards, and how they can be overcome.
The entire course takes about two hours to complete. You can start and stop as needed throughout the course.
• Course welcome and materials
• Seminar video recorded May 9th, 2023
• Quiz - 15 questions
• AEGB on-demand learning end-of-course survey
• Andrea Nicholls, Better Builder Director, Workers Defense Project
• Luis Contreras, Senior Construction Manager, Foundation Communities
• Cheyenne Krause, Chief of Staff, CapMetro
• David Smythe-Macaulay, Project Manager, Austin-Bergstrom International Airport
Continuing Education Credits:
• This seminar is approved for 1.5 AIA Learning Units (HSW/LUs)
• Certificates will be sent to your registered email after successfully passing the quiz and completing the
entire course. You can also find your certificates in the “My Certificates” under the profile menu.
• AIA Learning Units are reported by AEGB staff if you provided your AIA number when setting up your profile.
• If you are taking this course to meet a measure for an AEGB rating, please email the certificate to your AEGB representative.
Any questions regarding CE credits can be emailed to email@example.com.